Written by Avery Samuels, Reviewed by Dr. Justin Harper, MD
There are many different lip shapes, and some will inevitably suit you better than others. Your Master Provider can help you decide, but if you know you want lips like Scarlett Johansson’s, you can bring a picture to show your Provider.
According to author Jane Haner (The Wisdom of Our Lips) here are some other attractive lip shapes:
Heart shaped – prominent Cupid’s bow and full lower lip.
- Full lips – both upper and lower lips.
- Wide Lips – think Julia Roberts.
- Round Lips – the more compact version of full lips.
- Thin Lips – surprisingly, Heidi Klum makes this kind of lips classy.
- Fuller Upper Lips – looks kittenish.
- Fuller Lower Lips – generally considered sensual.
- Bow Shaped Lips – like Taylor Swift and Scarlett Johansson.
Great lips start with a serious consultation in which you can discuss your aesthetic goals with a Provider. This session will determine whether you need more than 1 syringe of filler during the initial injection, as well as the kind of filler to be used, which depends on your desire for structure, definition, or fullness. Fillers differ depending on the size of the hyaluronic acid molecules and the degree of cross-linking, which determines how soft and spread-out the filler will become.
The best Providers know how to use these fillers like an artist, in order to create symmetry and natural-looking fullness, according to the patient’s:
- Sharp edge – along the area of the vermillion border.
- Flat part – after the prominence of the tubercles.
- Rolling in – just medial to the oral commissures.
- Ridge – along the lower vermillion border.
- Bumps – the fleshy areas of the tubercles (includes the pink portion of the lips).
Furthermore, these procedures are quite safe. Filler is temporary, lasting up to a year, and can be reversed using the enzyme hyaluronidase. This is reassuring if you are a little bit phobic about committing to a change in your appearance. Allergic reactions are very rare.
The operative words when using hyaluronic fillers are harmony, proportion, symmetry and balance – bigger is not always best. You want to look ready for a kiss, not stung by a bee!